Celebrity moms are just like us. They struggle with infertility, too
When patients come to Fertility Associates of Memphis, they sometimes tell our fertility specialists that they feel like they’re the only ones struggling with infertility. However, our Memphis fertility center knows that this isn’t true.
In honor of National Infertility Awareness Week, we would like to talk about some brave celebrity moms who have gone public with their infertility struggles.
Many celebrity moms have spoken out about infertility
In recent years, our Memphis fertility center has seen an increase in the number of celebrity moms talking openly about struggling to get pregnant.
- Elizabeth Banks and husband Max Handelman tried to get pregnant for years. Finally, in 2011, the couple had a son using a gestational carrier.
- Courtney Cox suffered several miscarriages with then-husband David Arquette. In 2004, she finally conceived her daughter using in vitro fertilization, IVF.
- Celine Dion and late-husband Rene Angelil struggled to get pregnant for 6 years before conceiving a son in 2001 with the help of IVF and intracytoplasmic sperm injection, ICSI. Then, after undergoing 6 rounds of IVF and suffering a miscarriage, the couple had twin boys in 2010.
- Nicole Kidman suffered an ectopic pregnancy during her marriage to Tom Cruise. She went on to have 2 daughters with husband Keith Urban. Her second daughter was born in 2010 via gestational carrier.
- Sarah Jessica Parker and husband Matthew Broderick had twin daughters after using a surrogate in 2009. Before that, they got pregnant naturally and gave birth to a son in 2002.
- Brooke Shields underwent 7 rounds of IVF and suffered a miscarriage before she gave birth to a daughter in 2003. Then, she and husband Chris Henchy went on to conceive another daughter naturally in 2005.
- Chrissy Teigen and John Legend also used IVF
The celebrity moms listed above, and many others, have helped bring infertility out of the shadows and into the limelight
The goal of National Infertility Awareness Week is “to raise awareness about the disease of infertility and encourage the public to understand their reproductive health.” These celebrity moms are helping with that goal as are the physicians at Fertility Associates of Memphis.
Our Memphis fertility center is here to tell patients that there is hope and many options for treatment for infertility and that patients aren’t alone as they battle it.
Struggling with infertility? Please contact Fertility Associates of Memphis for more information about infertility and available treatments.