Memphis Fertility Specialist, Paul Brezina, M.D.
Dr. Paul Brezina is the Director of Reproductive Genetics at Fertility Associates of Memphis. He is board certified in Reproductive Endocrinology & Infertility as well as Obstetrics and Gynecology by the American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
Dr. Brezina completed his fellowship in Reproductive Endocrinology & Infertility at the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine in Baltimore. He earned his undergraduate degree from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. He has an MD/MBA degree from the Brody School of Medicine at East Carolina University in Greenville, N.C., where he also completed his residency in OB/GYN.
His main area of research, done with pioneers in the field at Johns Hopkins, has focused on genetic testing as it relates to assisted reproductive technologies. Dr. Brezina has published more than 20 research papers in numerous national and international journals. He has presented his research at conferences throughout the country and earned the Young Investigator Award at the 2011 International Congress of Human Genetics in Montreal, Canada. He served as an officer on the Society of Reproductive Endocrinology executive board. He and his wife have twin children.
Dr. Paul Brezina’s Current Fertility Research
SCIENTIFIC PEER REVIEWEED PUBLICATIONS (48)
- Brezina PR, Marinelli E, Bailey AP. Future implications of human embryonic testing and modification: great medicine or GATTACA? Eur Rev Med Pharmacol Sci. (In Press: Accepted Nov 2015)
- Brezina PR, Kutteh WH, Bailey AP, Ke RW. PGS is an excellent tool, but not perfect: A guide to counseling patients considering PGS. Fertil Steril. 2015 Oct 19. pii: S0015-0282(15)02006-3.
- Brezina PR, Ding J, Klosky JL, Ke RW, Tillmanns TD. Fertility preservation through oocyte cryopreservation in a patient with ovarian dysgerminocarcinoma. J Reprod Med. 2015;60:441-4444
- Tobler KJ, Zhao Y, Ross R, Benner AT, Broman K, Thrift K, Brezina PR, Kearns WG. Blastocoel fluid from differentiated blastocysts harbors cells capable of a whole genome DNA amplification and comprehensive chromosome microarray analysis. Fertil Steril. 2015 Aug;104(2):418-25.
- Brezina PR, Kutteh WH. Clinical Applications of Preimplantation Genetic Testing: What Technologies to Use and Which Patients Could Benefit? BMJ. 2015 Feb 19;350:g7611.
* British Medical Journal (BMJ) Commissioned Article with Honorarium
* Included in the BMJ “State of the Art Review” Series
- Anchan R, Gerami-Naini B, Lindsey JS, Ho JW, Kiezun A, Lipskind S, Ng N, LiCausi JA, Kim CS, Brezina P, Tuschl T, Maas R, Kearns WG, Williams Z. Efficient Differentiation of Steroidogenic and Germ-Like Cells from Epigenetically-Related iPSCs Derived from Ovarian Granulosa Cells. PLoS One. 2015 Mar 9;10(3):e0119275.
- Brezina PR, Kutteh WH, Bailey AP, Ke RW, Ding J, Klosky J. Fertility Preservation in the Age of Assisted Reproductive Technologies. Obstet Gynecol Clin North Am. 2015 Mar;42(1):39-54.
- Brezina PR. Fertility Treatment in the United States: The Case for Increased Access to Care. JFIV Reprod Med Genet. JFIV Reprod Med Genet. 2015; 3: e112. doi:10.4172/2375-4508.1000e112.
- Tobler KJ, Brezina PR, Benner AT, Du L, Xu X, Kearns WG. Two different microarray technologies for preimplantation genetic diagnosis and screening, due to reciprocal translocation imbalances, demonstrate equivalent euploidy and clinical pregnancy rates. J Assist Reprod Genet. 2014;31(7):843-50.
- Brezina PR, Kutteh WH, Bailey AP, Ding J, Ke RW. Preimplantation Genetic Screening: Pitfalls and Opportunities. OA Genetics. 2014 Feb 18;2(1):2.
- Tobler KJ, Brezina P, Garcia JE, Zhao Y. Sibling Oocytes Randomly Assigned to Either Conventional Fertilization or Intracytoplasmic Sperm Injection Demonstrate Equivalent Fertilization and Blastulation Rates. JFIV Reprod Med Genet. 2014; 2:124 doi: 10.4172/jfiv.1000124.
- Brezina PR, Kutteh MA, Kearns WG. The Evolving Role of Genetics in Reproductive Medicine. Obstet Gynecol Clin North Am. 2014; 41(1):41-55.
- Li G, Jin H, Xin Z, Su Y, Brezina PR, Benner AT, Kearns WG, Sun Y. Increased Pregnancy Rates for Couples Undergoing In Vitro Fertilization (IVF) and Preimplantation Genetic Diagnosis (PGD) by Microarray Analysis Due to Parental Translocations. Syst Biol Reprod Med. 2014 Apr;60(2):119-24.
- Brezina PR, Kutteh WH. Classic and Cutting Edge Strategies for the Management of Early Pregnancy Loss. Obstet Gynecol Clin North Am. 2014 ;41(1):1-18.
- Brezina PR. Fertility Preservation and Breast Cancer Patients. Austin J In Vitro Fertili. 2015;2(1): 1013.
- Brezina PR, Mensah V, Balen A, Leong M, Weissman A, Zhao Y, Shoham Z. Fertility management in the PCOS population: results of a web-based survey at IVF-worldwide.com. J Assist Reprod Genet. 2013; 30(9):1169-74.
- Brezina PR, Ke RW, Ding J, Kutteh WH. The Impact of Elective Egg Freezing Technology. J IVF Reprod Med Genet. 1: e103. doi:10.4172/jfiv.1000e103.
- Brezina PR, Jaeger P, Kutteh MA, Kearns Preimplantation Genetic Testing. Current Obstetrics and Gynecology Reports. 2013 Aug. doi:10.1007/s13669-013-0055-6.
- Bishop L, Brezina PR, Segars J. Training in embryo transfer: how should it be done? Fertil Steril. 2013;100(2):351-2.
- Brezina PR, Shah AA, Myers ER, Huang A, DeCherney A. The Evolving Impact of Health Policy on the Delivery of Health Care as it Pertains to Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility in the United States. Semin Reprod Med. 2013; 31(3): 189-197.
- Ning N, Balen A, Brezina PR, Leong M, Shoham Z, Wallach EE, Zhao Y. How to recognize a PCOS – Results of a web based survey on IVF-worldwide.com website. Reprod Biomed Online. 2013 May;26(5):500-5.
- Brezina PR. Preimplantation Genetic Testing in the 21st Century: Uncharted Territory. Clinical Medicine Insights: Reproductive Health. 2013:10;7:17-21.
- Brezina PR, Brezina DS, Kearns Preimplantation genetic testing. BMJ. 2012;345:e5908.
- Brezina PR, Ke RW, Kutteh WH. Preimplantation Genetic Screening: A Practical Guide. Clinical Medicine Insights: Reproductive Health. 2013: 27;7:37-42.
- Brezina P, Ning N, Mitchell E, Zacur HA, Baramki TA, Zhao Y. Recent Advances in Assisted Reproductive Technology. Current Obstetrics and Gynecology Reports. 2012; 1(4):166-173.
- Swelstad BB, Brezina PR, Johnson CT, Resetkova N, Woo I, Kolp L. Primary Infertility Associated with Neuroendocrine Tumor (Carcinoid) of the Appendix. Asian Pacific Journal of Reproduction. 2012; 1(2):143-145.
- Brezina PR, Vlahos NF, Lai T, Garcia JE, Wallach EE, Zhao Y. The Impact of Luteal Phase Support on Endometrial Estrogen and Progesterone Receptor Expression: a Randomized Control Trial. Reprod Biol Endocrinol. 2012; 10(1):16.
- Brezina P, Christianson MS, Nguyen KHD, Siegel A, Benner AT, Kearns Maternal XX / X Chromosome Mosaicism in Donor Oocyte In Vitro Fertilization (IVF). Middle East Fertility Society Journal. 2012; 17(2): 129-133.
- Brezina PR, Yunus FN, Zhao Y. Effects of Pharmaceutical Medications on Male Fertility. J Reprod Infertil. 2012; 13(1):3-11.
- Brezina PR, Zhao Y. The Ethical, Legal, and Social Issues Impacted by Modern Assisted Reproductive Technologies. Obstet Gynecol Int. 2012:2012:686253.
- Brezina P, Haberl E. Wallach E. At Home Testing: Optimizing Management for the Infertility Physician. Fertil Steril. 2011;95(6):1867-78.
*Featured in Reuters Article: Syndicated by over 100 News Outlets Internationally
- Zhao Y, Brezina P, Hsu C, Garcia J, Brinsden PR, Wallach E. In Vitro Fertilization: Four Decades of Reflections and Promises. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2011; 1810(9):843-52.
- Brezina PR, Benner A, Rechitsky S, Kuliev A, Pomerantseva E, Pauling D, Kearns WG. Single-gene testing combined with single nucleotide polymorphism microarray preimplantation genetic diagnosis for aneuploidy: a novel approach in optimizing pregnancy outcome. Fertil Steril. 2011;95(5):1786.
*Featured in Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine Website Article
*JHU Press Release: Syndicated by over 50 News Outlets Internationally
- Brezina P, Yunus F, Garcia J, Zhao Y. Description of the Parasite Wucheria Bancrofti Microfilariae Identified in Follicular Fluid Following Transvaginal Oocyte Retrieval. J Assist Reprod Genet. 2011; 28(5): 433-6.
- Brezina PR, Kearns Preimplantation Genetic Screening in the Age of 23-Chromosome Evaluation; Why FISH is no longer an acceptable technology. J Fertiliz In Vitro. 2011; 1:e103.
- Brezina P, Barker A, Benner A, Ross R, Nguyen K, Anchan R, Richter K, Cutting G, Kearns W. Genetic Normalization of Differentiating Aneuploid Human Embryos. Nature Precedings. 2011 June 23 <http://hdl.handle.net/10101/npre.2011.6045.1>
- Brezina P, Purcell O, Ducie J, Swelstad B, Yates M, Christianson M, Kolp L. Breakage of Suture Material Leading to Fascial Dehiscence. Middle East Fertil Soc J. 2011; 16:87-89.
- Zhao Y, Brezina PR. Therapeutic Medications and Male Fertility. J Fertiliz In Vitro. 2011; 1:e104.
- Brezina P, Zhao Y. Laser Assisted Zona Hatching: What Is the Evidence to Justify its Use? Middle East Fertil Soc J. 2011; 16(2): 107-109.
- Woelk JL, Dombroski RA, Brezina PR. Gestational Diabetes Insipidus, HELLP Syndrome and Eclampsia in a Twin Pregnancy: a Case Report. J Perinatol. 2010; 30(2):144-5.
- Brezina P, Muasher S. The Art and Science of Embryo Transfer: What Information Are We Lacking? Middle East Fertil Soc J. 2010; 15:14-20.
- Brezina PR, Beste TM, Nelson KH. Does the Route of Hysterectomy in Obese and Non-Obese Women Affect Outcome? 2009;13:358-363.
- Brezina P, Woelk J, Brezina D, Devente J. Serous Cystadenoma with Omental Caking and Ovarian Torsion: an Unusual Case Presentation. Clin Exp Obstet Gynecol. 2008; 34(4):284-6.
- Brezina P, Isler C. Takotsubo Cardiomyopathy in Pregnancy. Obstet Gynecol. 2008; 112(2):450-2.
- Brezina P, Moskop J. Urgent Medical Decision Making Regarding a Jehovah’s Witness Minor: A Case Report and Discussion. N C Med J. 2007; 68(5):312-6.
- Thomas F, Pittman K, Larkin E, Berzina P(Spelling Error), Contreras J, Quarantillo P, Thomas J. Characterization of Xenograft Resistance to Autoimmune Disease Recurrence After Pancreas Islet Transplantation. Transplant Proc. 1999; 31(1-2):964-5.
- Pittman K, Berzina P(Spelling Error), Contreras J, Bilbao G, Thomas F, Thomas J. Synergy of Class I and Class II MHC Deficiency (C1D and C2D) Islets and Early Short-Term Suppression in Achieving Long-Term Islet Graft Survival and Tolerance Induction. Transplant Proc. 1999; 31(1-2):635-6.
- Thomas FT, Pittman K, Brezina P, Wu J, Mountz J, Contreras J, Thomas J. Pancreas Islet Xenografts but not Allografts are Resistant to Autoimmune Disease Recurrence Following Islet Transplantation. Transplant Proc. 1997; 29(1-2):760-1.